Seniors Class of 2018
Organization is the key, know your deadlines and how to apply to and communicate with each college on your list. Be sure to list ALL of your colleges in your Naviance portal: "Colleges I am Applying To" and update your list with the college admissions decisions. Be sure to request that a final transcript be sent to the 4 year college where you submit your Intent to Register (SIR is due by May 1, 2018).
Remember, your guidance counselor and college and career center advisors can assist you with your questions. This is primarily how you will track transcript, teacher, and counselor recommendation information.
IMPORTANT: Keep up your grades - SENIOR YEAR GRADES MATTER TO COLLEGES - College acceptances are conditional.
Colleges You Are Applying To: Add the schools to the Colleges I'm Applying to List in Naviance. You will be able to see application deadlines, transcript request features and other features that are (may be) necessary during the application process.
Teacher Recommendations: Ask your teacher, in person, if they will write you a letter of recommendation. If they agree, in the fall you will 'officially' request a teacher letter of recommendation to your teacher through Naviance. Your teacher will upload his/her letter via the link you send them in your 'invitation'.
Counselor Recommendation Letters: Go to the document library in Naviance (home page right side) for information on items needed senior year to begin the process of completing college applications that require counselor letters. Turn these in to your counselor at least 3 weeks before you need your recommendation letter. Go to the Document Library where you can download you complete parent/self evaluations to complete.
ACT/SAT Scores: You need to go directly into your ACT and/or CollegeBoard (SAT) account and have your scores sent to your schools of choice. Scores are not automatically sent. Be sure to send your scores.
Student Portal Accounts on College Websites: Check your emails often. After submitting your application, you will likely receive an email linking you to each college's specific portal. Your college portal will keep you updated on items received, missing, needed. This is also where many colleges will notify you of admission and next steps.
COLLEGE APPLICATIONS - Different schools use different application systems: For non UC/CSU schools, you will either complete their own individual university application, a common application or a coalition application.
When filling out an application, be sure you have a copy of your transcript with you as well as your activities resume. You will likely be asked to 'self report' grades as well as list (or upload) extracurricular activities, awards, employment, etc. Gather this information ahead of time to make your process easier.
UC Application : https://admissions.universityofcalifornia.edu/applicant/login.html Opens to view/begin Aug. 1 each year. Application submitted, Nov. 1-30
- UC: How applications are reviewed: http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/freshman/how-applications-reviewed/index.html
- UC: Freshman Application Tips: http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/counselors/files/apply-online-freshman-cal.pdf
CSU Application www.calstate.edu/apply Opens Oct. 1, each year. Submission deadline Nov. 30.
- CSU launched a new website 6/1/17 and there will be additional modifications made during the summer 2018.
Common Application (over 700 schools): http://www.commonapp.org/ Opens August 1, each year.
- You may begin your application online anytime after August 1st. The application also requires school counselor input. Download a counselor packet from your Naviance portal "Document Library" on your welcome page. Complete this packet and make an appointment with your counselor to turn it in. Counselors will need at least 3 weeks notice to write a letter of recommendation.
- If you need any teacher recommendation letters they will be able to upload them to Naviance after you invite them via your Naviance portal. Remember to verbally ask them first.
Institutional Applications (some schools may provide you with an option to submit THEIR own college/university application):
- See specific college website for the application info and submission details. There may be essays and personal statements required.
Coalition Application (a newer platform): http://www.coalitionforcollegeaccess.org/alert.html
- Approximately 90+ schools are utilizing this new platform. Most schools will also offer one of the platforms offered above. If a school offers more than one platform, it is up to the student to decide which platform they prefer. There is no preferential treatment based on which application platform you choose. As of fall 2017 there were 3 schools which required students to apply via the Coalition Application including U of Washington, U of Floridan and U of Maryland.
College Application Worksheet: The attached google link may help you stay organized with college admissions and your applications. Open the document and save a copy as your own!
College Essays UC Insight Questions and Common Application Essay prompts are attached below. Also go to the UC guide for information on tips for completing the Insight Questions. You may also go to http://www.collegeessayguy.com/ for resources, tips, tools, and webinars for essay assistance. We are happy to assist you in C&CC with this as well!
Community College Both DVC and Las Positas send college representatives to talk to graduating seniors about their (post high school) application process in the Jan/Feb timeframe of senior year.Those visits will be announced on School Loop and seniors will sign up via their Naviance portal. Both colleges offer early admissions programs for SRVHS graduating seniors and the biggest benefit of taking advantage of those programs is EARLY COURSE registration at each college. DVC: https://www.dvc.edu and Las Positas: http://www.laspositascollege.edu.
REMINDER - Keep your Naviance account updated. This database is used throughout the college application process.
- Explore out of state options. WUE - Western Undergraduate Exchange and RACC - Regional Admissions Counselors California. http://wiche.edu/wue and http://www.regionaladmissions.com/