Seniors Class of 2018
We hope you have your list of colleges to apply to, and are well on your way in your application process. Organization is the key, know your deadlines and how to apply to each college on your list. Be sure to list ALL of your colleges in your Naviance portal (Colleges I am Applying To) so your guidance counselor and college and career center advisors can assist you with your questions. This is primarily how you will track transcipt, teacher, and counselor recommendation information.
College Application Worksheet: The attached google link may help you stay organized with college admissions and your applications. Open the document and save a copy as your own!
Colleges You Are Applying To: Add the schools to the Colleges I'm Applying to List in Naviance. You will be able to see application deadlines, transcript request features and other features that are (may be) necessary during the application process.
Teacher Recommendations: Ask your teacher, in person, if they will write you a letter of recommendation. If they agree, in the fall you will 'officially' request a teacher letter of recommendation to your teacher through Naviance. Your teacher will upload his/her letter via the link you send them in your 'invitation'.
Counselor Recommendation Letters: Go to the document library in Naviance for information on items needed senior year to begin the process of completing college applications that require counselor letters. Turn these in to your counselor at least 3 weeks before you need your recommendation letter. Go to the Document Library where you can download you complete parent/self evaluations to complete.
ACT/SAT Scores: You need to go directly into your ACT and/or CollegeBoard (SAT) account and have your scores sent to your schools of choice. Scores are not automatically sent. Be sure to send your scores!
Student Portal Accounts on College Websites: Check your emails often. After submitting your application, you will likely receive an email linking you to each college's specific portal. Your college portal will keep you updated on items received, missing, needed. This is also where many colleges will notify you of admission and next steps.
COLLEGE APPLICATIONS - Different schools use different application systems: For non UC/CSU schools, you will either complete their own individual university application, a common application or a coalition application.
When filling out an application, be sure you have a copy of your transcript with you as well as your activities resume. You will likely be asked to 'self report' grades as well as list (or upload) extracurricular activities, awards, employment, etc. Gather this information ahead of time to make your process easier.
UC Application : https://admissions.universityofcalifornia.edu/applicant/login.html Opens to view/begin Aug. 1, 2017. Application submitted, Nov. 1-30
- UC: How applications are reviewed: http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/freshman/how-applications-reviewed/index.html
- UC: Freshman Application Tips: http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/counselors/files/apply-online-freshman-cal.pdf
CSU Application www.calstate.edu/apply Opens Oct. 1, 2017. Submission deadline Nov. 30.
- CSU is launching a new website 6/1/17 with additional modifications being made over the summer. A tutorial will be posted early fall.
Common Application (over 700 schools): http://www.commonapp.org/ Opened August 1, 2017.
- You may begin your application online anytime after August 1st. The application also requires school counselor input. Download a counselor packet from your Naviance portal "Document Library" on your welcome page. Complete this packet and make an appointment with your counselor to turn it in. Counselors will need at least 3 weeks notice to write a letter of recommendation.
- If you need any teacher recommendation letters they will be able to upload them to Naviance after you invite them via your Naviance portal. Remember to verbally ask them first.
Institutional Applications (some schools may provide you with an option to submit THEIR own college/university application):
- See specific college website for the application info and submission details. There may be essays and personal statements required.
Coalition Application (a newer platform): http://www.coalitionforcollegeaccess.org/alert.html
- Approximately 90+ schools are utilizing this new platform. Most schools will also offer one of the platforms offered above. If a school offers more than one platform, it is up to the student to decide which platform they prefer. There is no preferential treatment based on which application platform you choose. There are 3 schools which require students to apply via the Coalition Application including U of Washington and U of Maryland.
College Essays UC Insight Questions and Common Application Essay prompts are attached below. Also go to the UC guide for information on tips for completing the Insight Questions. You may also go to http://www.collegeessayguy.com/ for resources, tips, tools, and webinars for essay assistance. We are happy to assist you in C&CC with this as well!
Community College Both DVC and Las Positas send college representatives to talk to graduating seniors about their (post high school) application process in the Jan/Feb timeframe of senior year. Those visits will be announced on School Loop and seniors will sign up via their Naviance portal. Both colleges offer early admissions programs for SRVHS graduating seniors and the biggest benefit of taking advantage of those programs is EARLY COURSE registration at each college! See each college website for more information. DVC: https://www.dvc.edu and Las Positas: http://www.laspositascollege.edu.
REMINDER - Keep your Naviance account updated. This database is used throughout the college application process.
- On the homepage of Naviance, right side, go to the document library to see a list of items your guidance counselor needs to complete a counselor recommendation letter. This can be done over the summer.
- Update the list of colleges you are applying to on your Naviance portal. Enter this list on your Naviance portal (Colleges I am Applying To). Make a list of deadlines, and necessary application details for your own use to help you track your applications. If you can't remember your login data - the username was your home email address and we suggested you use your easiest-to-remember password. If that doesn't work, try the automatic reset. If that doesn't work, email Mrs. Wise firstname.lastname@example.org or Mrs. Schratz email@example.com for assistance.
- Sign up on your Naviance portal for college visits at SRVHS. Remember you need to get your teacher's signature to attend if a visit is taking place during a class period. RSVP on Naviance and then have your teacher sign the rsvp page. Bring this with you to the visit.
- Explore out of state options. Many of these colleges accept spring applications. Two websites to explore for potential discounted out of state costs include: WUE - Western Undergraduate Exchange and RACC - Regional Admissions Counselors California. http://wiche.edu/wue and http://www.regionaladmissions.com/
- Keep up your grades! SENIOR YEAR GRADES MATTER TO COLLEGES! College acceptances are conditional.