Students in Jazz Band will:
- Learn proper instrumental performance skills which include posture, proper breathing techniques, articulations, and playing skills.
- Develop their understanding of music terminology, theory and reading skills.
- Build performance and sight-reading skills.
- Strive to build range, tone quality, perfect intonation and individual technical facility.
- Work in small and large groups to enhance performance outcomes
- Read music that contains moderate technical demands
- Read music that contains expanded ranges
- Sight read music at a grade 4 difficulty level
- Understand the technical vocabulary of music
- Understand the Major Scales, dominant 7th scales and their related key signatures
- Understand/Perform the various styles of jazz music
- Use ensemble skills (e.g., balance, intonation, rhythmic unity)
- Improvise stylistically appropriate harmonizing parts
- Advance presentation skills