College & Career Center News 4/22/16
Important Events and On Campus College Visits
- April 29 (Fri) 2nd C&CC – University of Kansas. Sign up on Naviance.
- April 29 (Fri) 4th C&CC – Eastern Washington U. Sign up on Naviance.
- April 29 (Fri) Lunch, C&CC - Finding the right college fit: presented by Eastern Washington University.
- April 30 (Sat) NACAC College Fair in SF @ Cow Palace, 1:30 to 4:30 p.m. Go to http://www.nacacnet.org/college-fairs/SpringNCF/Pages/San-francisco.aspx to register.
- April 30th (Sat) Mock ACT/SAT Combo for PRE-REGISTERED sophomores https://srvhs.net/apps/pages/index.jspuREC_ID=60963&type=d&pREC_ID=112934
- May 2nd (Mon) 5th C&CC – University of New Hampshire. Sign up on Naviance.
- May 7 (Sat) WACAC-East Bay College Fair @ St. Mary’s College in Moraga, 1 to 4 p.m. http://www.wacaccollegefair.com/Registration/EventSelectForState?stateName=All to preregister.
- May 17th or May 24th (Tuesday) Essay writing for College Applications: Rising Juniors: See registration information provided by SRVHS Academic Boosters. https://srvhs.net/apps/pages/index.jspuREC_ID=60963&type=d&pREC_ID=112934
SENIORS: May 1 is NATIONAL DECISION DAY! Be sure you let the college know where you plan to enroll in the fall, and decline the other offers of admission. If you are on one or more waiting lists, see details below under “Seniors”. Remember, you may only accept an offer of admission to ONE college. And, for the most part, all colleges withdraw their offers of admission after May 1 if you have not sent in your “statement of intent to register” (i.e. said “yes” to their offer of admission).
Senior Tradition: We have 2 traditions here at SRVHS where we encourage seniors to share their post high school plan. In the College & Career Center, we ask seniors to complete a form (these are available NOW) and from that form we create a pennant to put on our map in the center. Please stop by! This map remains posted into the next school year to share with students the diversity of options our students have post high school. This information is also posted in our school newspaper at year end.
On May 6th, SRV leadership will host a “DECISION DAY” celebration in the quad at lunch where students may post where they are going/what they will be doing after high school, on big state maps. These “state” visuals will again be shared at the graduation ceremony on June 10th.
SENIORS! Check out these scholarships on Naviance!!! (Naviance: Colleges tab: scholarship list) (NEW) Werne Family Student-Athlete Scholarship - $1000 (due May 12); (NEW) Majmundar Kids Scholarship - $500 (due May 11); Danville Women’s Club (due May 2) $500; Academic Boosters (due May 2). Stone Valley PTA - Alumni Scholarship ($500), due 5/13; Greenbrook PTA ($500), due 5/6; Rancho Romero PTA (due 5/6); CSF Lifetime Members Scholarship (due 4/29)
SENIORS- COMMUNITY COLLEGE: If DVC is on your “radar”, be sure to follow their early enrollment steps to be potential for early course registration. Go to: www.dvc.edu for enrollment information. You may apply to any community college…just go to their website and follow their instructions!
Rising Seniors/Current Juniors
UC Personal Statement Prompts will be changing for the Class of 2017. Learn more from the posting on school loop or stop by the College and Career Center for a handout.
NEW College Application this fall for a select group of colleges. This new application (group) is called the “Coalition for Access, Affordability and Success”. See www.coalitionforcollegeaccess.org for more information and the timeline for its release. We also have an informational flyer in the College and Career Center.
HOT JOBS/VOLUNTEER OPS
- The Alameda County Fair needs VOLUNTEERS! There are lots of perks (including a free t-shirt and hat) so check out their website to learn how to apply. Go to: com or email .
- The Alameda county Fair also has PAID jobs available! Must be at least 16 years old by June 15, 2016. Go to the same website as above to see the list of jobs and to apply. Pick up flyers in the College & Career Center.
- White Water Rafting Company needs some office help. See posting on School loop for Seniors and juniors. A nice perk is FREE rafting adventures for staff! Pay ranges from $10.50 to $12.50. See flyer on Job Board for more information.
Town of Danville
COLLEGE ADMISSIONS DECISIONS---our PENNANT map is growing! We invite all seniors to share their post high school plans with us and we will post a “pennant” on our map in the College & Career Center. Will you be taking a GAP YEAR? Going to college in CA or another state or another country? Entering the military? Entering the workforce? OH THE PLACES YOU WILL BE GOING….WE CANNOT WAIT TO HEAR!
Men age 18 and above – Remember to register for the selective service: It is a young man’s civic duty and legal obligation to register with the selective service. See www.sss.gov.
Sign up for ACT or SAT tests. Only a few spring dates remain! ACT: www.actstudent.org or SAT: www.collegeboard.org. ALL 4 YEAR COLLEGE BOUND JUNIORS should consider taking at least one of these tests in junior year (by June). Tests can be repeated in the fall, but it is recommended to have one completed in junior year.
SRVHS Academic Boosters offers ACT/SAT test preparation opportunities through the spring. College application essay writing sessions held May 17th or 24th. Register at srvhs.net academics: academic boosters: test prep.
SUMMER ENRICHMENT INFORMATION